I distinctly remember the point in the book The Giver when I realized that this seemingly Utopian society had lost the ability to see color. I kept wondering what that would be like and how different everything would be to me.
Pair of Enchroma glasses
For those who are colorblind or have a Color Vision Deficiency (CVD), the world may look very different than the one most of us see. Many people are affected by color blindness – 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women. Now there is a pair of glasses that can enhance the colors for someone who is colorblind. In fact, the company claims it works for 80% of those who try it. The product’s name is EnChroma and their website is http://enchroma.com/.
Some facts about the glasses:
- The price is $349 up to $429 (additional charge for prescription glasses)
- The indoor and outdoor glasses look a lot like sunglasses.
- There is one North Dakota retailer, Trinity Regional Eyecare – Vision Galleria in Williston. Their phone number is 701-572-7641.
- There are hundreds of videos of people who have used the EnChroma glasses and their emotional reactions. A collection of those reactions is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2_vq7IOsog
- The glasses do not work for everyone nor do they provide 100% color vision. The glasses are unlikely to help for tritanomaly or tritanopia (blue-yellow color blindness). They do enhance the vibrancy and saturation of certain colors and improve color discrimination, depth, and detail perception.
- Information about the development of the glasses
The book The Giver had such an impact on me and these glasses can have a big impact on you if you are an individual who suffers from colorblindness.
Father and son with Enchroma glasses having fun, playing with kite together