A favorite summer activity for young and old is going to an amusement or water park. But for someone with a disability, these parks are only partially accessible. Gordon Hartman, whose daughter has special needs, recognized the limitations of parks and decided to design a place for everyone to enjoy. His daughter Morgan was the inspiration for Morgan’s Wonderland which opened in 2010 near San Antonio, Texas. This year they also added a waterpark, Morgan’s Inspiration Island, which is also fully accessible.
Logo for Morgan’s Wonderland
A few things I love about this place:
- Anyone with a disability can get into the park for free.
- The park is for everyone! It is not only for those with disabilities but for anyone; it is a “park of inclusion.”
- Morgan’s Inspiration Island has several splash pads, a riverboat ride, and support facilities.
- The splash park has specially designed waterproof wheelchairs of various heights and sizes to use at no cost.
- In Morgan’s Inspiration Island there are seven accessible changing rooms with adult-sized changing tables (two rooms are equipped with Hoyer lifts) and four (typical) changing rooms for those who do not need assistance while changing clothes.
- Morgan’s Wonderland has attractions such as a butterfly playground, sand play area, music garden, swings for everyone, Ferris wheel, carousel, express train, fishing lake, performances with park characters, and more.
- Everyone gets a GPS Adventure Band which is an RFID Technology wristband locator used to instantly capture park memories and photos and safely track your group as they explore the park.
- In a TEDx Talk Gordon Hartman, Morgan’s dad and founder of these parks, explained how “You Only Are Disabled in an Environment that Makes You That Way.”
I was overwhelmed when I was on the website at all the accommodations at the parks; there are just too many to name. I guess you have to see it to believe it. Maybe we should all take a trip to San Antonio. Last one there is a rotten egg.
You just have to go to their website (http://www.morganswonderland.com/) to take it all in.
Little girl playing in the splash pool